Custom Children’s Bunk Beds in Hong Kong
It is pretty common to custom build furniture in Hong Kong. In fact, I recommend it for new home buyers or homes under renovation because it’s an exact fit, you can design certain components to help you with minimal space in Hong Kong and you can add lots of neat features that off the shelf furniture could not otherwise provide.
I decided to custom make pretty much the whole room of the children’s bedroom as soon as they were old enough to sleep on their own. The process is pretty easy because there are many companies all over Hong Kong that will help design, build, deliver and assemble your furniture.
Things that you can do to have a space efficient custom built set is:
- Make practical use of space (ie: I made stairs instead of using a ladder to get to the top bunk and turned the stairs into cubbie holes to store stuff in)
- Make use under the bed (drawers in the front and then storage space with cubbie holes in the back for stuff you don’t need as often)
- Sliding closet with both drawer, shelves and hanging space (keep it flexible)
- Round the corners to keep it child friendly
- Extend the height of the safety edge around the bed (we made ours almost 2 feet)
- Put nice designs around the top bunk safety edge (we made round beans all the way around and even on the side where the stairs are so they children can hold on to these holds as they make their way up or down)
The price varies depending on the company you choose and the quality of the material. Inevitably, most of the units are made in China and shipped down to be assembled like lego pieces. Our unit cost around $18,000 HKD (not including mattresses), and includes design, mock-up, exact measuring from the builder, delivery, and assembly.
The full unit
Built in stairs for easy access to the upper bunk with built-in drawers.
Notice the detailing at the very bottom. It is an EXACT fit made to your specifications.
Built-in drawers use pretty high quality tracks and are extra deep for extra storage.
All space is utilized. Notice the little hole in the middle? Lift the board and there is a deep storage area there.
Flexible closet space that is quite deep and versatile.